Connect with us

Business

Trump and his allies want Elon Musk to speak at Republican National Convention

Published

on

By

Trump and his allies want Elon Musk to speak at Republican National Convention

Former President Donald Trump and his allies on the Republican National Committee want to convince Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk to speak at the GOP convention in July, people familiar with the matter told CNBC.

Republican leaders believe that giving Musk a speaking slot at the convention could lead to some of his fans boosting what has been the party’s historically lagging support among young adult voters on Election Day, said a source with knowledge of that belief.

Trump is expected to be confirmed at the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, event as the Republican presidential nominee, setting up a rematch of his 2020 contest against President Joe Biden in the election this November.

Advertisement

Musk’s potential speaker role was disclosed after he reportedly met with Trump and a group of wealthy Republican donors last weekend in Palm Beach, Florida. It is not clear if Trump or his allies have raised the idea with Musk.

That sitdown came days before the former president’s landslide victories in the Super Tuesday primaries, which led his last major challenger, former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley, to drop out of the nomination contest.

The people who spoke to CNBC for this story were granted anonymity to describe private conversations.

Advertisement

If Musk, who also owns the social media site X, does appear at the convention, it would be an implicit, and possibly explicit, endorsement of Trump’s candidacy.

Peter Thiel, who is Musk’s long-time financial backer and fellow PayPal co-founder, served a similar purpose when he spoke at the 2016 Republican National Convention, which first nominated Trump for president.

One of the sources familiar with the matter noted that interest from RNC leadership to have Musk speak at the convention had already been discussed with Ronna McDaniel, the RNC chair who resigned at the committee’s Houston meeting on Friday.

Advertisement

That source said that new RNC chair Michael Whatley likely will be in favor of inviting Musk to speak, as will the new RNC co-chair Lara Trump, the former president’s daughter-in-law.

Representatives for Trump and the RNC did not reply to requests for comment.

Musk did not reply to a request for comment.

Advertisement

It remains to be seen if the RNC will invite Musk, or if he wants to attend the convention.

Musk, who has a reported net worth of nearly $200 billion, this week said that he does not plan to donate money to the campaigns of either Trump or Biden.

But a person familiar with last weekend’s Florida meeting said that some of Trump’s advisors are hoping that Musk will start supporting the Republican candidate.

Advertisement

Musk has not publicly ruled out donating money to a pro-Trump political action committee, or a nonprofit organization supporting the former president’s policies.

Musk previously voiced support for the Republican presidential candidacy of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who suspended his campaign in January after dismal primary results against Trump.

Musk also hosted an event last year on Twitter Spaces for Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who is seeking the White House as an independent candidate.

Advertisement

Musk did not endorse Trump in the Republican’s two prior campaigns, in 2016 and 2020.

And the two have clashed in the past.

In June 2017, Musk abandoned a Trump White House advisory council, citing the withdrawal of the United States from the Paris climate accord.

Advertisement

In July 2022, Trump blasted the mega-billionaire for saying he had never voted for a Republican before casting a ballot earlier that year for a GOP candidate in Texas for a special House election.

“He said the other day, ‘Oh, I’ve never voted for a Republican,’ ” Trump said at that rally. “He told me he voted for me, so he’s another bulls— artist.”

Musk within days tweeted,  “I don’t hate the man, but it’s time for Trump to hang up his hat & sail into the sunset. Dems should also call off the attack — don’t make it so that Trump’s only way to survive is to regain the Presidency.”

Advertisement

While Musk has continued to characterize himself as “moderate,” his public political commentary has been moving rightward for years.

And his social and political commentary in posts on X have become more bombastic since late 2022, when he led a leveraged buyout of the social media company, then known as Twitter.

Earlier in 2022, Musk said that he would vote for Republicans over Democrats in the congressional midterm elections that year.

Advertisement

In a series of tweets on Tuesday, as voters around the United States were casting ballots in presidential primaries, Musk baselessly accused Biden of “treason,” while bashing his handling of immigration in the United States.

When he took control of X, Musk said that he would reinstate Trump’s account on the platform, which Twitter’s prior leadership had banned for life in the wake of the deadly riot by Trump supporters at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

That riot disrupted for hours a joint session of Congress that was meeting to confirm the Electoral College victory of Biden.

Advertisement

Trump, who subsequently launched his own social media company, Truth Social, previously had said that he would not return to X even if Musk reversed the ban.

Trump made an exception to that vow last summer, when he posted his jailhouse mug shot taken after he was booked on Georgia state criminal charges related to his attempt to undo his loss to Biden in that state’s presidential election in 2020.

That post is linked Trump’s campaign website, which allows people to donate to his reelection effort and a to political action committee that pays for his mounting legal bills

Advertisement

Thiel, a former Facebook board member, told The Atlantic last fall that he does not plan to financially back any Republican candidates, including Trump.

Thiel also said in that interview that Trump’s presidential administration, which spanned January 2017 to January 2021, was “crazier” and “more dangerous than I thought.”

“They couldn’t get the most basic pieces of the government to work,” Thiel told the media outlet. “So that was — I think that part was maybe worse than even my low expectations.”

Advertisement

Read More

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Business

Fones 4 Africa: Where Quality Meets Affordability

Published

on

By

fones 4 africa

In the bustling world of technology, finding a reliable source for premium mobile phones and accessories can be a daunting task. However, fear not! Fones 4 Africa has emerged as a beacon of excellence, offering top-notch products at unbeatable prices. Let’s delve into what makes Fones 4 Africa a standout choice for tech enthusiasts.

Premium Phones at Unbeatable Prices

At Fones 4 Africa, quality meets affordability. Whether you’re eyeing the latest iPhone or a cutting-edge Samsung Galaxy, this online store has you covered. Here are some highlights:

  1. Apple iPhone 11: With prices ranging from R 6,499.00 to R 7,299.00, the iPhone 11 combines sleek design with powerful performance. Customers have rated it 3.83 out of 5 stars.
  2. Apple iPhone X: Priced between R 4,959.00 and R 5,299.00, the iPhone X boasts a stunning display and exceptional camera capabilities. Users have given it a perfect 5-star rating.
  3. Apple iPhone XS Max: For those who crave a larger screen, the XS Max (R 5,499.00 – R 6,999.00) delivers. Its 4.56 out of 5-star rating speaks volumes.
  4. Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra: If Android is your preference, the S21 Ultra (R 8,499.00 – R 9,599.00) impresses with its camera prowess and sleek design (rated 4.7 out of 5 stars).
  5. Samsung Galaxy A70 (128GB): A budget-friendly option, the A70 (R 4,999.00 – R 5,099.00) strikes a balance between performance and price (rated 4.6 out of 5 stars).
  6. Apple iPhone XS: The XS (R 5,999.00 – R 6,399.00) continues to be a favorite among Apple enthusiasts, earning a perfect 5-star rating.

Seamless Shopping Experience

Fones 4 Africa understands the importance of convenience. Their user-friendly website allows you to shop on the go. Plus, with free shipping, you can enjoy your new gadget without any hassle.

Conclusion

In a world where technology evolves rapidly, Fones 4 Africa stands firm as a reliable partner for all your mobile needs. From premium phones to accessories, their commitment to quality and affordability is unwavering. Visit Fones.co.za today and experience excellence firsthand!

Advertisement

Disclaimer: This article is based on publicly available information and reflects positive aspects of Fones 4 Africa. Individual experiences may vary, but we celebrate the brand’s dedication to customer satisfaction.

Continue Reading

Business

Raya is shootout hero as Arsenal reach Champions League quarters

Published

on

By

Raya is shootout hero as Arsenal reach Champions League quarters

LONDON – David Raya was the hero as Arsenal beat Porto 4-2 on penalties on Tuesday to reach the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time since 2010.

The teams were locked at 1-1 on aggregate after an absorbing second leg at the Emirates but Raya saved twice in the shootout to break the hearts of the two-time champions.

The goalkeeper dived full stretch to deny Wendell and repeated the feat against Galeno, while the home side converted all four of their penalties as the decibel count soared.

Advertisement

It is the first time a Champions League match has been decided by penalties since the 2016 final between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.

“You are very nervous, you are hoping for the best but you know that it (the shootout) is a bit of a lottery,” Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta told TNT Sports.

“So happy. It has been 14 years (without reaching quarter-finals), which is a long time for a club like Arsenal and it shows how difficult it was. We really had to dig in to find the magic moment at the end.”

Advertisement

“We’ve been patient, worked so hard and a lot of people have made good decisions and showed courage in difficult moments and this is where you want to be,” he added.

Raya, on loan from Brentford, said it was a “great moment personally and collectively”.

“This means everything. You play football for these kind of things and I’m lucky to be playing for Arsenal, to be in the Champions League and to get through to the quarter-finals.”

Advertisement

Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, Arteta’s Premier League leaders — with 33 goals in their past eight league games — were not at their fluent best against a disciplined Porto side.

Leandro Trossard pulled Arsenal level on aggregate shortly before half-time as their patience paid off.

Sergio Conceicao’s men had succeeded in frustrating the home team for long spells during the opening period, fashioning enough chances of their own make it a nervy night for the expectant fans.

Advertisement

Both sides struggled to settle in a scrappy opening period, with Porto doing their best to slow the game down by taking their time with throw-ins and goal kicks, to the audible frustration of the home crowd.

Arsenal defender Ben White headed over in the fourth minute after the home side’s first sustained attack while captain Martin Odegaard hit the side netting 10 minutes later.

But Porto, who were last crowned European champions under Jose Mourinho in 2004, had a number of openings.

Advertisement

Evanilson whipped a shot at goal from distance that bounced wide and minutes later struck a rising strike that Raya palmed away.

Declan Rice headed just wide and Pepe — the first 41-year-old to play outfield in the Champions League — got the deftest of touches with his head to prevent Kai Havertz from connecting with a White cross at the back post.

– Breakthrough –

Advertisement

The breakthrough finally came in the 41st minute following good work from Odegaard, who jinked past an opponent and fed Trossard with a perfectly weighted low pass into the box.

Trossard calmly hit a right-footed shot past goalkeeper Diogo Costa and into the far corner of the net to ease the tension.

The visitors, who had never won a match in England in 22 previous attempts, started the second half brightly as Arsenal struggled to impose themselves. 

Advertisement

Arsenal thought they had doubled their lead midway through the second half when Odegaard dinked the ball into an empty net but the goal was ruled out for a foul by Havertz on Pepe.

Moments later Porto streamed forward and Raya blocked Francisco Conceicao’s shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Arteta threw on Gabriel Jesus in the 83rd minute and the former Manchester City man nearly scored with his first touch.

Advertisement

As Arsenal pushed for a winner, Bukayo Saka produced a trademark curling effort that was punched back into the middle and Odegaard steered the rebound wide when well-placed.

The home side looked the more dangerous in the early stages of extra-time but Porto remained a threat on the break, with substitute Mehdi Taremi curling wide.

Arteta brought on Eddie Nketiah and Oleksandr Zinchenko for the second period of extra time but neither side could find a winner and it went to penalties.

Advertisement

By John Weaver

Read More

Continue Reading

Business

India’s Pant says doctors considered leg amputation after car crash

Published

on

By

India’s Pant says doctors considered leg amputation after car crash

NEW DELHI – Star Indian wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant says that doctors raised the prospect of amputating his leg after the serious car crash that threatened to end his cricket career.

The 26-year-old is set to play for the Delhi Capitals in the Indian Premier League starting this month after a 14-month absence following the accident.

He is also in contention for the T20 World Cup in the West Indies and United States in June if all goes well on his comeback in the IPL.

Advertisement

Pant said his long layoff had taken a toll on him physically and mentally, but knows it could have been far worse.

“When my accident happened I felt something spiritual saved me,” Pant, who missed the last season of the IPL, told Wednesday’s Times of India.

“With the kind of accident I had, I only got my knee injured, but I can’t even imagine how much worse it could have been.

Advertisement

“Doctors even spoke to me about amputation.”

Pant crashed his Mercedes SUV north of New Delhi in December 2022, suffering multiple injuries when the car rammed into a crash barrier, flipped over and caught fire.

He was rushed to hospital before being airlifted to Mumbai for further treatment and surgery.

Advertisement

An intensive rehabilitation programme followed with the National Cricket Academy (NCA) as he recovered from a damaged ligament in his right knee, a hurt wrist and ankle, and abrasions to his back.

Pant said he had been “anxiously waiting” to be declared fit and had been distressed to sit out last year’s ODI World Cup at home. 

“It was very upsetting. We discussed with the NCA team that we will take a shot at the World Cup. All of us tried 200 percent, but my knee couldn’t take the load,” he said.

Advertisement

Pant had also hoped to be fit for India’s 4-1 Test series win over England which concluded on the weekend, but said the cricket board had not wanted to rush him back into the gruelling format.

The swashbuckling player said the accident had changed his whole outlook.

“Gratitude towards life has increased a lot. You start appreciating small things about life.”

Advertisement

Pant has played for India 129 times across all three formats since making his international debut in 2017.

He was replaced as skipper of Delhi Capitals by David Warner last year.

abh/gle/pst

Advertisement

By Abhaya Srivastava

Read More

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 BBS Stories