Connect with us

Business

How a 40-ounce cup turned Stanley into a $750 million a year business

Published

on

By

How a 40-ounce cup turned Stanley into a $750 million a year business

For the better part of the past 110 years, Stanley was doing just fine. 

The drinkware manufacturer had made a place for itself in the knapsacks of outdoorsmen and lunchboxes of blue collar workers with its bottles and thermoses that kept food and drinks hot — or cold — for hours on end. 

The Seattle-based brand was chugging along with a comfortable $70 million in annual sales from its famous hammertone green products, and looked poised for another century of modest, reliable success. 

Advertisement

But starting in 2020, something changed. A fledgling product came into its own and turned Stanley into a juggernaut. 

Over the past four years, the Stanley Quencher has become one of the most popular water bottles in the world. Sold in an ever-growing array of colors and finishes, the Quencher has supercharged Stanley’s sales by appealing to a demographic that Stanley didn’t spend too much time catering to in its first hundred years: women. 

A favorite of nurses, teachers and celebrities alike, the Quencher has been such a popular product that Stanley’s annual sales are projected to top $750 million in 2023, according to data reviewed by CNBC Make It. 

Advertisement

Here’s how Stanley leveraged the Quencher to turn a century-old company into one of the biggest names in hydration.

Early days

The Quencher arrived in 2016 to little fanfare. The 40-ounce insulated cup, which retails for between $45 and $55, sported a handle for ease of transportation, as well as a tapered design that allowed it to slide into a car’s cup holder. 

But in its first few years, the Quencher didn’t make much of an impact. Year after year, the brand’s best-selling product remained the iconic green bottle. Indeed, sales were so middling that by 2019 Stanley had stopped restocking and marketing the product.

Advertisement

In 2020, Stanley brought on Terence Reilly as its new president. Reilly had spent the past seven years at Crocs, where he led the strategy that turned the rubber clogs into one of the hottest shoes on the market. 

When Reilly came onboard, he did a listening tour around the company to hear from employees about what was working and what wasn’t. One employee mentioned a group of women in Utah who ran a commerce blog called The Buy Guide. 

Buy Guide cofounder Ashlee LeSueur had purchased her first Quencher at a Bed, Bath and Beyond store in 2017. She fell in love with the product and quickly began gifting it to friends and recommending it to followers. 

Advertisement

The Quencher retails for between $35 and $55 and comes in dozens of colors and finishes.

Lauren Shamo

In 2019, she tried to make a case for Stanley to continue production of the Quencher, but the sales numbers weren’t there. Instead, Stanley gave her another option: make a wholesale order to sell Quenchers directly to her Buy Guide audience.

Advertisement

“I felt like I was signing a mortgage,” LeSueur tells CNBC Make It of her purchase order for 5,000 Quenchers. “It was a big risk for it. It took every penny that we had in the business account, plus some personal funds to make that happen.”

Those Quenchers, however, sold out within days. When Reilly took charge, he embraced The Buy Guide as partners, working with them to promote new, exciting colors like Desert Sage and Cream. 

“My experience at Crocs told me that that kind of influencer opportunity was just the magic that Stanley might need,” he says. “And we were right. The Buy Guide proved to be amazing partners and helped us create the Quencher phenomenon.”

Advertisement

In fact, the Quencher sold so well that it replaced the iconic Stanley bottle as the brand’s top selling product in 2020. It hasn’t let go of the top spot since. 

Hydration domination 

The success of the Quencher has helped Stanley grow its annual revenue from $70 million to more than $750 million in four years.

Gene Kim

Advertisement

With every new color Stanley rolled out, sales continued to increase. Stanley’s revenue jumped from $73 million in 2019 to $94 million in 2020. It more than doubled to $194 million in 2021.

In 2022, Stanley released a redesigned Quencher model with a streamlined design and new array of colors and finishes. Revenue doubled again that year to $402 million.

The Instagram-friendly pastels helped the Quencher be seen as less of a utilitarian product and more as a fashion accessory. As the available color options grew — Stanley has released the Quencher in over 100 colors — some fans began building collections. 

Advertisement

“We see all the time that [our customer] wants her Quencher to match her fit, her nail polish, her car, her mood, her kitchen,” Reilly tells CNBC Make It. “We’re serving her where she wants the product.” 

Content creator Chelsea Espejo first learned about the Quencher in 2022. She now has a collection of 47 cups. A gym enthusiast, she credits the cup’s large size for helping her stay hydrated throughout her workouts. The wide variety of color options certainly don’t hurt either. 

“On the days that I do have extra time, I search for the specific [color] that matches my shirt,” she tells CNBC Make It. “I wouldn’t even say Stanleys are something I use. They’re actually part of my personality. If I don’t have it, if I don’t choose the right color, my day kind of doesn’t go how I planned it.” 

Advertisement

Espejo isn’t the only one with a strong attachment to her Quencher. The cup  is a social media darling, especially on TikTok. The #StanleyTumbler hashtag has been viewed more than 900 million times, and the product has been the star of many viral videos.

They’re actually part of my personality. If I don’t have [my Stanley], if I don’t choose the right color, my day kind of doesn’t go how I planned it.

Chelsea Espejo

Stanley Quencher collector

Advertisement

Helping drive the excitement is Stanley’s strategy of releasing new colors in limited-edition drops, advertising the latest additions to its roster on social media. Reilly also capitalized on the Quencher’s viral success by pushing for collabs with celebrities and brands

“My experience at Crocs was fueled by collaboration culture and drop culture,” Reilly says. “And I knew that once we had our legs under us at Stanley, and once we could see the connection to consumers that we were creating, we were also ready for collaborations.”

Indeed, collabs have been key to driving the Stanley Quencher’s popularity. The Quencher is frequently released in limited edition colors that sell out in minutes. A recent collaboration with Starbucks resulted in a red Quencher that was being resold on eBay for hundreds of dollars the same day it dropped. 

Advertisement

A recent collab with country music star Lainey Wilson sold out in minutes.

Stanley

When Target introduced new Quencher colors recently, some stores had to place restrictions on how many a customer could buy, limiting them to two per person.

Advertisement

“The resale market is certainly flattering,” Reilly says. “The fact that there are signs at America’s best retailers limiting the number of Stanleys you can buy is an astounding thing to think about.”

Quencher collector Emily Fahrlander made her way to her local Starbucks at five in the morning the day the Starbucks collab was released, determined to get her hands on the limited-edition item. 

“I’m not usually that crazy, I really am not,” she tells Make It. “But I didn’t get the last [drop], so I was like, ‘Let’s just wake up early.’” 

Advertisement

And while Reilly and the Stanley team still “want a little bit of scarcity” to help keep excitement around the product, he says they are constantly working on manufacturing as much product as possible.  

“We really continue to increase the number of units available each time we drop, because we see the trend and the waiting lists that are growing,” he says. “But there’s only so many seats in the stadium, and when the seats are sold out, they’re sold out.” 

Halo Effect

Stanley has now sold more than 10 million Quenchers, and demand for the cup doesn’t look to be waning any time soon. 

Advertisement

The Quencher’s popularity on social media has been a boon to the rest of Stanley’s business as well. Ellyn Briggs, a brands analyst at Morning Consult, tells CNBC Make It that a rising tide raises all boats. 

“It’s bringing the Stanley name to the forefront of consumers’ minds, making them aware of the brand, making them have more favorable perceptions,” Briggs tells Make It. 

Indeed, Reilly says that the “entire Stanley brand has benefited from the Quencher trend.” 

Advertisement

Stanley’s entire lineup has adopted the Quencher’s embrace of color.

Lauren Shamo

“We’re seeing our new products checking very well,” he says. “And certainly our heritage products have regained their velocity and their rightful place in culture and in serving the needs of consumers.” 

Advertisement

For Espejo, whose introduction to the brand came through the Quencher, Stanley has become a mainstay in her cupboards with drinking glasses and mugs as well. 

“Now when I go to any store, the first thing I look at is the Stanley collection, whether it’s the mugs or the Quencher,” she says. “My love for [the Quencher] has given me the opportunity to love all of Stanley.”

Close observers might notice that Stanley’s product line has taken a page out of the Quencher’s book, with aesthetic colors and eye-catching designs being adopted by Stanley offerings both new and old.

Advertisement

“[The Quencher redesign] gave us confidence that we can apply those same aesthetic principles across other categories,” Stanley design chief Graham Nearn says. “It gives us confidence that we could even start to refine and define our products that we were most famous for.”

And while the success of the Quencher was fueled in large part by an embrace of colors favored by its new, female audience, Stanley was clearly onto something in its first 110 years. 

One of the Quencher’s most in-demand new colors? Hammertone green

Advertisement

DON’T MISS: Want to be smarter and more successful with your money, work & life? Sign up for our new newsletter!

Get CNBC’s free Warren Buffett Guide to Investing, which distills the billionaire’s No. 1 best piece of advice for regular investors, do’s and don’ts, and three key investing principles into a clear and simple guidebook.

Read More

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Business

Fones 4 Africa: Where Quality Meets Affordability

Published

on

By

fones 4 africa

In the bustling world of technology, finding a reliable source for premium mobile phones and accessories can be a daunting task. However, fear not! Fones 4 Africa has emerged as a beacon of excellence, offering top-notch products at unbeatable prices. Let’s delve into what makes Fones 4 Africa a standout choice for tech enthusiasts.

Premium Phones at Unbeatable Prices

At Fones 4 Africa, quality meets affordability. Whether you’re eyeing the latest iPhone or a cutting-edge Samsung Galaxy, this online store has you covered. Here are some highlights:

1. Apple iPhone 11: With prices ranging from R 6,499.00 to R 7,299.00, the iPhone 11 combines sleek design with powerful performance. Customers have rated it 3.83 out of 5 stars.
  2. Apple iPhone X: Priced between R 4,959.00 and R 5,299.00, the iPhone X boasts a stunning display and exceptional camera capabilities. Users have given it a perfect 5-star rating.
  3. Apple iPhone XS Max: For those who crave a larger screen, the XS Max (R 5,499.00 – R 6,999.00) delivers. Its 4.56 out of 5-star rating speaks volumes.
  4. Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra: If Android is your preference, the S21 Ultra (R 8,499.00 – R 9,599.00) impresses with its camera prowess and sleek design (rated 4.7 out of 5 stars).
  5. Samsung Galaxy A70 (128GB): A budget-friendly option, the A70 (R 4,999.00 – R 5,099.00) strikes a balance between performance and price (rated 4.6 out of 5 stars).
  6. Apple iPhone XS: The XS (R 5,999.00 – R 6,399.00) continues to be a favorite among Apple enthusiasts, earning a perfect 5-star rating.

Seamless Shopping Experience

Fones 4 Africa understands the importance of convenience. Their user-friendly website allows you to shop on the go. Plus, with free shipping, you can enjoy your new gadget without any hassle.

Conclusion

In a world where technology evolves rapidly, Fones 4 Africa stands firm as a reliable partner for all your mobile needs. From premium phones to accessories, their commitment to quality and affordability is unwavering. Visit Fones.co.za today and experience excellence firsthand!

Advertisement

Disclaimer: This article is based on publicly available information and reflects positive aspects of Fones 4 Africa. Individual experiences may vary, but we celebrate the brand’s dedication to customer satisfaction.

Continue Reading

Business

Raya is shootout hero as Arsenal reach Champions League quarters

Published

on

By

Raya is shootout hero as Arsenal reach Champions League quarters

LONDON – David Raya was the hero as Arsenal beat Porto 4-2 on penalties on Tuesday to reach the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time since 2010.

The teams were locked at 1-1 on aggregate after an absorbing second leg at the Emirates but Raya saved twice in the shootout to break the hearts of the two-time champions.

The goalkeeper dived full stretch to deny Wendell and repeated the feat against Galeno, while the home side converted all four of their penalties as the decibel count soared.

Advertisement

It is the first time a Champions League match has been decided by penalties since the 2016 final between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid.

“You are very nervous, you are hoping for the best but you know that it (the shootout) is a bit of a lottery,” Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta told TNT Sports.

“So happy. It has been 14 years (without reaching quarter-finals), which is a long time for a club like Arsenal and it shows how difficult it was. We really had to dig in to find the magic moment at the end.”

Advertisement

“We’ve been patient, worked so hard and a lot of people have made good decisions and showed courage in difficult moments and this is where you want to be,” he added.

Raya, on loan from Brentford, said it was a “great moment personally and collectively”.

“This means everything. You play football for these kind of things and I’m lucky to be playing for Arsenal, to be in the Champions League and to get through to the quarter-finals.”

Advertisement

Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, Arteta’s Premier League leaders — with 33 goals in their past eight league games — were not at their fluent best against a disciplined Porto side.

Leandro Trossard pulled Arsenal level on aggregate shortly before half-time as their patience paid off.

Sergio Conceicao’s men had succeeded in frustrating the home team for long spells during the opening period, fashioning enough chances of their own make it a nervy night for the expectant fans.

Advertisement

Both sides struggled to settle in a scrappy opening period, with Porto doing their best to slow the game down by taking their time with throw-ins and goal kicks, to the audible frustration of the home crowd.

Arsenal defender Ben White headed over in the fourth minute after the home side’s first sustained attack while captain Martin Odegaard hit the side netting 10 minutes later.

But Porto, who were last crowned European champions under Jose Mourinho in 2004, had a number of openings.

Advertisement

Evanilson whipped a shot at goal from distance that bounced wide and minutes later struck a rising strike that Raya palmed away.

Declan Rice headed just wide and Pepe — the first 41-year-old to play outfield in the Champions League — got the deftest of touches with his head to prevent Kai Havertz from connecting with a White cross at the back post.

– Breakthrough –

Advertisement

The breakthrough finally came in the 41st minute following good work from Odegaard, who jinked past an opponent and fed Trossard with a perfectly weighted low pass into the box.

Trossard calmly hit a right-footed shot past goalkeeper Diogo Costa and into the far corner of the net to ease the tension.

The visitors, who had never won a match in England in 22 previous attempts, started the second half brightly as Arsenal struggled to impose themselves. 

Advertisement

Arsenal thought they had doubled their lead midway through the second half when Odegaard dinked the ball into an empty net but the goal was ruled out for a foul by Havertz on Pepe.

Moments later Porto streamed forward and Raya blocked Francisco Conceicao’s shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Arteta threw on Gabriel Jesus in the 83rd minute and the former Manchester City man nearly scored with his first touch.

Advertisement

As Arsenal pushed for a winner, Bukayo Saka produced a trademark curling effort that was punched back into the middle and Odegaard steered the rebound wide when well-placed.

The home side looked the more dangerous in the early stages of extra-time but Porto remained a threat on the break, with substitute Mehdi Taremi curling wide.

Arteta brought on Eddie Nketiah and Oleksandr Zinchenko for the second period of extra time but neither side could find a winner and it went to penalties.

Advertisement

By John Weaver

Read More

Continue Reading

Business

India’s Pant says doctors considered leg amputation after car crash

Published

on

By

India’s Pant says doctors considered leg amputation after car crash

NEW DELHI – Star Indian wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant says that doctors raised the prospect of amputating his leg after the serious car crash that threatened to end his cricket career.

The 26-year-old is set to play for the Delhi Capitals in the Indian Premier League starting this month after a 14-month absence following the accident.

He is also in contention for the T20 World Cup in the West Indies and United States in June if all goes well on his comeback in the IPL.

Advertisement

Pant said his long layoff had taken a toll on him physically and mentally, but knows it could have been far worse.

“When my accident happened I felt something spiritual saved me,” Pant, who missed the last season of the IPL, told Wednesday’s Times of India.

“With the kind of accident I had, I only got my knee injured, but I can’t even imagine how much worse it could have been.

Advertisement

“Doctors even spoke to me about amputation.”

Pant crashed his Mercedes SUV north of New Delhi in December 2022, suffering multiple injuries when the car rammed into a crash barrier, flipped over and caught fire.

He was rushed to hospital before being airlifted to Mumbai for further treatment and surgery.

Advertisement

An intensive rehabilitation programme followed with the National Cricket Academy (NCA) as he recovered from a damaged ligament in his right knee, a hurt wrist and ankle, and abrasions to his back.

Pant said he had been “anxiously waiting” to be declared fit and had been distressed to sit out last year’s ODI World Cup at home. 

“It was very upsetting. We discussed with the NCA team that we will take a shot at the World Cup. All of us tried 200 percent, but my knee couldn’t take the load,” he said.

Advertisement

Pant had also hoped to be fit for India’s 4-1 Test series win over England which concluded on the weekend, but said the cricket board had not wanted to rush him back into the gruelling format.

The swashbuckling player said the accident had changed his whole outlook.

“Gratitude towards life has increased a lot. You start appreciating small things about life.”

Advertisement

Pant has played for India 129 times across all three formats since making his international debut in 2017.

He was replaced as skipper of Delhi Capitals by David Warner last year.

abh/gle/pst

Advertisement

By Abhaya Srivastava

Read More

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 BBS Stories